Investigating Cell Communication Kit (with perishables)
Students perform a foundational experiment to demonstrate cell communication in yeast reproduction. They study the yeast life cycle and observe yeast morphology to determine if and how cells communicate. They design an experiment using different mating types of yeasts, culturing techniques, and microscopy to provide evidence that single-celled organisms communicate. Kit includes enough materials for 1 class of students working cooperatively in 8 groups.
Note: Kit includes perishable materials for immediate use.
Includes 1-year access to digital resources that support 3-dimensional instruction for NGSS. Digital resources may include a teacher manual and student guide, pre-lab activities and setup videos, phenomenon videos, simulations, and post-lab analysis and assessments.
Science and Engineering Practices
Planning and Carrying Out Investigations
Developing and Using Models
Disciplinary Core Ideas
LS1.A: Structure and Function
- Organisms reproduce, either sexually, or asexually, and transfer their genetic information to their offspring.
LS2.D: Interactions and Group Behavior
- Group behavior has evolved because membership can increase the chances of survival for individuals and their genetic relatives.
Cause and Effect
- Empirical evidence is required to differentiate between cause and correlation and make claims about specific causes and effects.
- Study a yeast life cycle model and brainstorm methods by which yeast cells might communicate to initiate shmoo formation.
- Create and observe wet-mount slides of a-type culture, alpha-type culture, and mixed culture with tallies of single haploid cells, budding haploid cells, and shmoos.
- Use findings from the wet-mount observations to create a testable question about cell communication in yeast.
- Design and conduct an experiment to look for evidence that single-celled organisms communicate.
Prerequisite Knowledge and Skills
Students should have a general understanding of the characteristics and benefits of asexual and sexual reproduction, knowledge of what haploid and diploid cells are and their significance in asexual and sexual reproduction, and know how to prepare wet-mount slides and use a compound microscope.
Shipping is Extra and will be charged separately. Shipping Quotes will be given upon request.
REPORTING DAMAGED ITEMS AND SHORTAGES
All shortages, defects and deficiencies must be reported within 7 days of receiving the shipment. Merlan Scientific cannot assume responsibility for shortages reported after this period.
On receiving goods, check your packing slip and the package contents carefully. Please report any damaged items immediately and keep all shipping materials for inspection. If you have any questions please call 1-800-387-2474 or write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before returning any item to Merlan Scientific, please call for a Return Authorization Number. Shipments received without authorization may be refused.
Merlan Scientific warrants that each product will be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period set forth in its published user manuals for its system products and for a period of one (1) year for its component products. The warranty commences on the date the product is shipped by Merlan Scientific. Merlan Scientifics’ sole liability and responsibility under this warranty is to repair or replace any defective product, which is returned to it by the buyer, and which Merlan Scientific determines qualifies for repair or replacement under the terms of the applicable warranty. The product returned to Merlan Scientific for warranty service will be shipped to Merlan Scientific at the buyers expense and will be returned to buyer at Merlan Scientifics’ expense. In no event shall Merlan Scientific be responsible under its warranty for any defect, which is caused by negligence, misuse or mistreatment of a product, or for any unit, which has been altered or modified in any way. The warranty of repaired and replacement products shall terminate with the original warranty of the product.tab-whats-include